Easing of restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne’s real estate industry
When it was announced that a number of real estate services were to be permitted under Step 2 of metropolitan Melbourne’s reopening roadmap, a sense of relief was felt by industry professionals, as well as a collective of buyers and sellers whose best laid plans have been severely impacted by Melbourne’s stage 4 lockdown.
As with all permitted industries, there is a COVID Safe plan in place for the delivery of real estate services that must be adhered to by all parties. This is outlined below, along with a list of what activities are now permissible, and what is still on hold.
Health and safety precautions that underpin the easing of restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne:
- The occupier(s) of the property that is to be inspected cannot to be present during the inspection. This is now approved as a permitted reason to leave home under the Stay at Home Directions.
- Records and contact details of those attending a property, either to inspect it or to undertake marketing activities, will be kept by the Noel Jones agent.
- All parties must use hand sanitiser prior to entering a property for inspection or marketing activities. This will be supplied by the Noel Jones agent.
- All internal and external doors will be opened for the duration of the inspection to aid ventilation.
- Prior to the inspection, lights will be turned on, and cupboards, drawers, windows and doors opened by the Noel Jones agent to minimise the need for the prospective buyer/tenant to touch surfaces. Any surfaces touched during an inspection will be disinfected by the Noel Jones agent once the inspection is complete.
Inspections for a potential sale or lease of a residential property in metropolitan Melbourne:
- Inspections are permitted but by private appointment only. There will not at be an advertised time listed, to ensure that people do not turn up unannounced.
- A suitable time for the inspection can be agreed upon by the Noel Jones agent and the occupier of the property. The Noel Jones agent is required to confirm that neither the occupier nor attendees are symptomatic, self-isolating or under quarantine before the inspection takes place.
- A valid worker’s permit will be held by the Noel Jones agent to conduct the inspection.
- The inspection may be attended by one Noel Jones agent and one prospective buyer/tenant. The prospective buyer/tenant may be accompanied by one other person from their household, or an intimate partner. Children under 18 years old may also attend with them if there are no alternative care arrangements available.
- Each private inspection cannot exceed 15 minutes.
- A prospective buyer/tenant can leave their home for a maximum of two hours to attend a prearranged private inspection of a property.
- A prospective buyer/tenant may attend a private inspection outside of their 5km radius however they must not under any circumstances enter regional Victoria.
Inspections for pre-settlement, commencement or end of lease services for property in metropolitan Melbourne:
- Residents in metropolitan Melbourne may attend inspections for pre-settlement, commencement or end of lease services.
- Residents of regional Victoria may attend inspections for pre-settlement, commencement or end of lease services if these cannot be done virtually.
Auctions in metropolitan Melbourne:
- Auctions may only be held online.
Property marketing and related activities in metropolitan Melbourne:
- Property marketing, sales and rental activities that are unable to be done remotely are permitted. There should be no more than one agent and one service provider in attendance at any given time. Activities include but may not be limited to:
- Property photography, floorplans, videos and copywriting
- Document exchange
- Cash handling
- Condition reports upon entry or exit of a lease term
- Private inspections for property appraisals prior to listing a property for sale or lease are considered a marketing relating activity and as such are also allowed.
Property management inspections (also relevant for Owners Corporations) in metropolitan Melbourne:
- No rental inspections are currently permitted. These should be conducted via digital means including Facetime/Zoom etc. or through photographs.
- The only permitted repairs and maintenance are those required to ensure that use and occupancy of a property is both safe and secure.
- The only permitted facilities management services are those required to ensure the health and safety of users.
Property Appraisals in metropolitan Melbourne:
- Property appraisals are now permitted to recommence.
Noel Jones agents are thrilled to be able to resume face to face inspections and we look forward to helping both buyers and sellers move on to the next chapter of their property journeys.